Skip to main content

Giving up supermarkets

This isn't about sewing, but I am sewing right now.  I've almost finished 3 pairs of pjs for R, and I have something cut out for myself.  I bought myself an Ottobre Woman magazine for my Christmas.  I also bought a bag pattern and some vintage patterns.  I plan to do quite a bit of sewing this year (like I planned to do last year, but just never got round to...)  Just reorganised my fabric stash the other day too.

I wanted to blog about my new idea... to give up shopping at supermarkets.  There are lots of reasons I want to do this.  It seems like supermarkets are trying to take over the world.  All the local shops are closed.  All their stuff is totally over-packaged.  And they're always trying to make me buy stuff I don't even want or need with their special offers. 

I want to be more eco-friendly - cutting down on the waste we produce.  I want to support local businesses that people actually own rather than big companies.  I want to eat more locally produced foods rather than stuff flown in from overseas.  I want to eat more organic food.

I am thinking I will start a weekly order from Grow Wild - a local fruit and veg delivery company.  They source the majority of their stuff locally.  And it is organic.  They also sell locally produced organic meat, honey, jams, eggs, and dairy.  I just priced up a few random items - Grow Wild was £9.97 and Tesco was £8.41 (is it just me or do Tesco just bump the price up of anything that has "organic" in the title?)  I usually have my stuff delivered from Tesco at a cost of £4.50ish.  Grow Wild charges £1 for delivery, so shopping from there is actually saving me almost £2!

I can use Grow Wild for my fruit and veg (just need to decide on what size and type of box to get) milk, cream, butter (will switch to real butter instead of margarine), eggs and some other things like pasta and even some cleaning products and toiletries. 

I think I might use somewhere like Ethical Superstore or Goodness Direct for toilet roll and bulk buying of flour, grains etc.  If we switch from boxed cereals to porridge, (quinoa porridge for me!) or eggs and toast etc in the morning then I think that will cut down on packaging and also be healthier.

I'm thinking I will put the bread maker to use again.  I've never been that happy with the bread I've made in it before, but it is good for mixing dough for things like bagels and rolls.

For the cats, Grow Wild sell a beef/lamb mix for pet food.  Not sure if I am meant to cook it or feed it to them raw?  I can also use the sort of local and family run pet shop in Linlithgow for cat biscuits and rat food.  I am going to avoid Pets at Home, since I think they count as a supermarket.  There is also place on the way to Larbert that sells bulk pet food.  I noticed that Ethical Superstore sells Bio Catalet cat litter - which we use for the rats.  Might be able to get that locally though.

Other things I have been thinking about - fizzy drinks (bad habit I know).  The amount of plastic bottles we go through must be huge!  I was thinking about getting a soda stream machine.  The children also like drinking squash type drinks... so what would they be replaced with???  I could get the Rocks Organic brand from Ethical Superstore.  They come in glass bottles, so easy to recycle too.  We can work on cutting down the amount of non-water drinks we drink.  Yogurt - we don't eat a huge amount, but I have always wanted to get a yogurt maker.  The cheapest place selling them is on ebay - but the place that sells them also sells "poultry dispatchers" which is something you can use to break a chickens neck... not sure I can buy from somewhere that sells stuff to murder chickens with...  Next cheapest place is amazon, but does that count as a supermaket?  Its a massive shop that sells everything.  Probably taking business away from local book sellers and companies. (tis my favourite place to shop tho!!)  There are loads of those EasiYo yogurt makers around, but it seems like the stuff you need to buy to use them is quite expensive, and I'm sure I remember reading that it comes from New Zealand... might be wrong on that though.

Other things we buy from the supermarket are crisps/biscuits and other snacky type foods.  I'm thinking that we could bake more.  Cheese scones for a savoury option and biscuits, cakes or muffins for sweet snacks.

I feel like this is probably going to be more expensive than my normal Tesco shop, but I have a pretty decent £500 a month budget for 2 adults, 4 children, 2 cats, 2 rats and some fish.

Got to get to bed.  I will add more ideas later, but I think I pretty much have it covered.  Just have to put it into practice really.

Comments

Kim said…
Ditching the supermarket is a fab idea. I try to do just that too. It is not easy but I have found cutting down to two shops a month better then going weekly. As for much organic stuff. Are you aware of Suma and Infinity foods? Ask around locally as many people now form coops and bulk buy food etc which makes a huge saving. Great to have a hoard of food too!
Good luck with your venture.
Kim x

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

Cutting Fest

I spent an evening cutting out fleece nappy covers. I don't even like fleece nappy covers! But I have a lot of fleece just hanging about doing nothing. I also cut out some pyjamas from the Kwik Sewing Sewing for Toddlers book. I always think everything in the book looks very 80's or early 90's, but who cares when it comes to pjs. I sewed up the first pair of pyjamas, and they fit really well. He put them on and went straight outside. If I decide to cut any more out I think I'll do them without the ribbing waist band. The other pair I cut out aren't quite finished yet. I decided to cut out the jumpsuit pattern. It made really cute pjs! And the ribbing I had matched really well. R is helping me by plugging the camera in. Its impossible to get a picture of him these days because he always wants to help. I'm hoping to finish the pjs and start some of the fleece nappy covers tonight. If I sew them assembly-line style then they should be done pr