Friday, 25 April 2008

More Nappies

This is the baby gift I made all finished and ready to go...


I really hate uploading pictures with Blogger. That is NOT where I wanted that picture to go!!!

Well, never mind.....

This week i have been working on some newborn nappies. They need some snaps. Applying snaps really hurts my shoulder and arm. Its hard work! I'm running low on a lot of snap colours too, so I had to use a combination of white and off-white on the nappies. I have some money for my birthday and I think i might buy a new set of dies, for size 20 snaps - slightly larger than the ones I have. And some new snaps. Anyway, this is what I've made:
















x4 Very Baby newborn nappies, made from hemp jersey

x4 Mini nappies, made with a modified version of the Very Baby pattern

x2 Covers made by modifying the Very Baby pattern - these are for the mini nappies to snap into.

Ugh!!! Blogger and pictures is so annoying!!! These are the two covers. Still need to add snaps to them. I haven't decided if they should be front snapping or side snapping. I am leaning towards side snapping. The wings look a little bit big, so i think they'd be better tucked underneath.

This is the mini nappy that will snap inside the cover. I think I've put it in the wrong way round in the picture! The mini nappy has a hemp jersey inner and outer and a hidden layer of sherpa fleece. It has elastic legs. I suppose its something like the Imse vimes contour nappies. The soaker will snap in on top of it - once I add snaps! Its made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and topped with hemp jersey to match the mini nappy. The inside of the cover is lined with micro fleece.


I hope these will be ok for a newborn. It should be quite snug once it is all on.






This is one of the ikkle nappies with the snaps on a larger setting. For some reason there is only 4 snaps on the front of this. I'm not sure if that is a mistake on the pattern or not. Or if it was me that made the mistake??? There was a snap down bit for the umbilical cord, but I left those off. It might be a bit irritating having a snap near the belly button.

I do really like the look of the natural hemp fabric and the pastel coloured thread. The snaps on the front are off white, which matches nicely, but I ran out of the off whites, so the sockets underneath are white.


Oh, and this is a picture of my little darling!

Right now I'm working on another baby gift. It's a little dress with matching pants. I think I'll do a little top to go under it and make a matching nappy. It's from the Ottobre magazine.

I've also made something for R from the Ottobre magazine. It just needs snaps to finish.

Also on the list is finishing his shepherd suit. I've been working on it for ages!! It just needs button holes. I'm allergic to making button holes so I've been putting it off.

I'm planning on making lots more nappies. I'd love to have some tie dyed ones! I've also just ordered fabric for making a top for myself, and for making a sling.

Busy, busy, busy!!!

Saturday, 12 April 2008

A Baby Gift

I haven't managed to do any sewing for a while, but this project seemed to come together really quickly. I traced and cut the pattern during the day and was able to sew it - assembly line style in the evening. I was really pleased with how it turned out.

It's not the best photo really. There are 3 small sized Very Baby diapers, one newborn sized Chloe Toes cover, 6 cloth wipes and 5 fleece liners.

This is the inside of the Chloe Toes cover. Its a free pattern. The newborn size fits from 6-13lbs. It's really quite tiny and doesn't fit over my nappies - which are small size and fit 10-16lbs (i think!) I'm going to send it anyway. I'm just in the process of making a small sized cover. It fits 10-20lbs, so should fit nicely over the nappies. I'm making it in the pale pink, same as the other one. I also found an extremely cute ladybird and flower print fabric, which I'll use to make another cover. Am getting a bit carried away I think!

This is the Very Baby nappy. The soaker snaps in rather than being sewn inside, so it will dry faster. There is an extra booster pad as well, which fits under the soaker pad. The nappy is made from the knit outer, with a hidden layer of sherpa fleece and topped with cotton velour. The side snaps are hidden and so is the elastic, so none of it will touch the baby's skin. The snap in soaker pad is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and topped with the white cotton velour. The extra booster is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece. It is going to be a very absorbent nappy I think.

I don't really like the bulk of the wings inside the nappy. It seems a bit fiddly to sort them as you are fastening it. I have a couple more baby gifts to sew - once the babies are born. Don't know if they are boys or girls yet. When I do them I'm going to change to front snaps rather than side snaps. Still, I'm fairly pleased with this project. I just have to wrap it up. I'm going to tie the nappies up in a bundle with ribbon and make a little tag to thread onto the ribbon with the size and washing instructions.