Sunday, 20 December 2009

More Pyjamas

I just finished up these two pairs of pyjamas. The top on the first pair is from Kwik Sews Sewing for Toddlers book. I hemmed the sleeves instead of using cuffs. I followed the instructions for the non-ribbing neckline, but I think it has made the neckline too wide. The bottoms are long johns from Ottobre 3/04 or 4/04. They look adorably cute! The hem of the top looks a bit wavy in my photo though. I used a mock coverstitch on my sewing machine instead of switching my overlocker to coverstitch. Its such a hassle to switch it to the coverstitch setting!



The second pair has the Kwik Sew top and Kwik Sew pj bottoms.



I did buy the brown interlock to make something for myself! But I'm not sure I'll have enough for my project. I'm going to use the rest of it to make another pair of pjs. I think I will try an Ottobre pattern for the top this time. I'm also going to make 2 hooded tops for R with it. The pattern isn't for a hooded top, but I am just going to wing it and add a hood.
Got so much tidying up and things to do for Christmas, but I am going to try and make time for sewing.

Monday, 7 December 2009

Been sewing

For the first time in ages I have actually been quite productive! Firstly I made another hoodie from the Lil Blue Boo pattern for W. He loves it. I found it a bit harder making one of the larger sizes. The green top was xl size, but the black was only an L so there wasn't as much fabric available. I ended up cutting the sleeves from further up the t.shirt and having to hem them myself. The black band around the hood had to be cut from a piece of black jersey from my stash.



The print is terribly squint though! It looked squint and very off centre on the original t.shirt. I thought I'd done a good job of cutting it till I sewed the bottom band on. Argh! It looked hideous! There was no way I could really fix it. Its going to be on moving child though, so I doubt anyone will notice. I plan on making a few more of these.

Then I made some girls pyjamas from a 1970s pattern. They certainly look 70s! Whats with trousers that almost go up to your chest??? I still need to sew a button on the back. I felt a lot of the sewing techniques in the pattern made the pjs look very "home made". I'm sure there is a better way to do some of the things that would produce a more professional look. I'd quite like to try making the nightdress with some broiderie anglaise or something similar, with a ruffly bit round the yoke, just for something fancy.



I just finished some more girls pyjamas. The leggings are from Ottobre magazine (4/04 i think) I haven't actually finished them, still need to hem and do the elastic waist. I made a t.shirt from a Jalie pattern to wear with them. Luckily I had some lilac ribbing which was a good match. I've made this pattern before and had some trouble with the ribbing. I had trouble again this time. It looks quite uneven in places. I had quite a lot of the fabric left so I decided to make the vest style top as well to make some mix and match pjs.




What's next... well, I'd really like to get some brown knit, so I can pair it with a bunch of other fabrics, to make a top for myself and pjs or tops for R. I also have the beastie fabric in the pink colourway, so I might make another set of pjs. I was thinking maybe a swing top sort of thing paired with leggings this time.