Skip to main content

My first Opulent Monsters AIO

I thought I'd make a new post for this since the last post had got quite long. There will be more crappy phone pics here, sorry. I've spent most of the day working on some Opulent Monsters AIOs. They are HARD. I knew from reading the instructions that attaching the inner sections together was going to be difficult and I wasn't looking forward to giving it a go. The first one I basted in was tricky but I thought it looked okay, no tucks or folds or anything. Once it's basted you're supposed to overlock it. That ruined it. It's really hard to see what's going on with my overlocker so it ended up with loads of tucks and looked terrible. I ended up unpicking all the overlocking and starting again. This time I decided that after basting it, I'd stitch a line of permanent stitching at 1/4 of an inch and then overlock. It looked okay after I did the line of stitching but I chickened out with the overlocking. I did a zigzag over it instead, because who is going to look at it? None of the fabrics I used will fray either, so it's not like it was needed to prevent fraying. I did the same thing for the second one, but this time, for some reason the soaker petals weren't completely even, so when I finished stitching, one of the layers hadn't caught in the stitching. Of course it was the layer that was facing upwards. So more unpicking, trimming and then re-sewing was required. This really wasn't a fun day!


I stitched together one and my jackalope pocket nappy and installed the elastic. I still need to top stitch them though. You're supposed to do that before installing the elastic, but I usually make the casings, put the elastic in and then top stitch later.

I'll probably sew the other one together tomorrow. I still have one to do though. Thinking about sewing that inner makes me want to cry! I'll just have to be brave and get it done. I'd consider myself a fairly advanced sewer (or sewist?) but I find this part insanely hard. It's the corners that are the worst. The front corners seem to be tighter than the back ones. There doesn't seem to be any better way to do this and still keep flap out soakers. Rocket Bottoms has a pattern modification you can buy to make something similar--a contoured section set into a PUL layer, but the soakers just sit on top, so it's not so neat and clean looking. I suppose you could have a hidden soaker, but then it would lack the quick dry feature. A back pocket maybe? Then it wouldn't be an AIO... I definitely wouldn't recommend the AIO to beginners, well, actually it's probably do-able if you don't mind having little tucks and folds at the corners. The pattern has a non overlocked version, which I think has you just zigzag the soaker section on top of the PUL. I think that would be easier. Like a tiny bit easier. It wouldn't look as pretty though. I imagine it's something that you can get better at with practice though. You as in someone who isn't me! I don't think I want to sew this again. I have another three (i think?) cut out. Unfortunately (or fortunately?!) I don't have any bamboo fleece left so I can't finish them. I think I'll have to finish them at some point if I want to pay back what I owe to my credit card.


I was a bit disappointed by all the wrinkles caused by the elastic. It looked so nice before!


These are the flap out soakers, which are hidden underneath when the nappy is in use. They're not too hard to tuck in, especially if you pull them from opposite ends rather than trying to stuff them inside.


It's quite trim really, even with seven layers of bamboo fleece. I'll get the top stitching done tomorrow and put snaps on the wings. The jackalope turned out nicely. It's made from very lightweight PUL and even the wicking fabric is very lightweight. It's from a different place to where I usually get it from. The whole thing is light as a feather. You can see the navy one lurking in the background here, just waiting to torture me...

After I've top stitched these two I might take a break and sew something else. I've had the New Horizons TAMI Revolution hoodie cut out for ages. It's for E and it's going to be made with a black and grey sweater knit that I bought from a co-op years ago. I might work on that, even though it's not contributing anything to my shop. It's cut out ready to go though. I think I deserve a break after all the torture of today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

A few more things...

This top is made from Blessed Designs #1002. It is a nursing top. You lift the top layer and there are extended armhole openings in the white layer. Very good for keeping your stomach covered! It was so fast and easy to make! I will definitely make this again, but next time lengthen it by quite a bit. It's too short on me. Because I am small it makes me look even shorter! I think if I wear a longer top it'll make my body look longer and I'll look taller. The pink fabric came from my stash. I've had it about 4 years. It's not really my colour though. I just really wanted to try the pattern out. The hems were done on my sewing machine. I was too lazy to set my overlocker up to do cover stitch. I think they look pretty good and quite professional. Picture is a bit blurred though. One morning a few months ago I woke up and just randomly decided to sew this! I neglected my house for the day to sew it. It had just been waiting for snaps. It's f