Skip to main content

New Horizons TAMI Revolution hoodie.

I worked on this today. It's the first garment I've sewn in ages! I've been working with tiny things lately so I wasn't used to the bulk of a full sized item of clothing. I'm not finished yet but I'm really not happy with it.

Firstly, I've messed up with the stripes. They don't match up. I remember cutting it out and making sure that the stripes on the front and back would match but I don't remember what I did with the sleeves. I thought maybe it was something to do with the raglan sleeves. I'm not a fan of raglan sleeves normally. One seam seems to match up pretty well but the others are completely off. It's disappointing and I don't have any more of this fabric left to try and recut them.


I had a bit of trouble getting the pieces to match but I think it might have been my cutting since I'm using a knit fabric. I had huge trouble with the under arm seams. They don't match at all. I could have matched them if started pinning there and ended up with slightly off seams at the bottom and cuffs. That would have been okay because I could have just trimmed them to make them even again, but when I matched the underarm seams the stripes ended up misaligned, so I had to leave the seams mismatched. It's really quite off as you can see in this picture.


I also had trouble with the pockets. They seemed to get misaligned so I had to unpick and restitch. I'm pretty happy with the final result though. The pockets were sewn onto the seam allowance and then the whole sleeve/underarm/side seam was sewn together, including sewing round the pockets. I don't think I've ever sewn something like that before. I was worried I wouldn't be able to overlock the seam because of the sharp angle of the pockets but it was actually pretty easy.


The instructions for the thumb hole cuffs are very confusing but it turned out to be fairly simple once I understood it. I made them from a grey interlock but now I'm not so sure about it. It doesn't really match the grey stripes and I feel like it gives it too much of a 'homemade' look by how random it is. I'm not sure if I should get some black jersey instead. I think that would look better, but the hoodie already sucks so I don't know if there's any point in spending money on some new fabric. I suppose I could keep the cuffs and bottom band and make another hoodie that they'd match with, but I really haven't enjoyed sewing this one so I don't know if I want to make it again.


The worst and most stupid thing I did was sew the hood on the wrong way... Somehow, I got confused and thought the sleeves were the front and back. I don't know how that happened. So I sewed the hood on sideways. I'm just glad I thought to stitch it on first to see how it looked before I went to the trouble of overlocking the seam. What a stupid mistake! It's funny because once I sewed the sleeves to the front and back I thought hey, this is going to be a really quick project. It took me all afternoon and part of the evening and it's still not finished.


This one was made a few sizes too big to give it a baggy fit, so I could possibly cut it down and hopefully make the sleeves match up. I think I could keep the hood as it is. I'm not sure that would work though. I could just cut it down completely and make something child sized with the fabric, or put some plain sleeves on? The fabric is a fluffy knitted thing so I think it might look weird with plain interlock sleeves. I'm not too sure where I'm going with it now, so it'll probably have to go and hang out in the UFO pile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

Cutting Fest

I spent an evening cutting out fleece nappy covers. I don't even like fleece nappy covers! But I have a lot of fleece just hanging about doing nothing. I also cut out some pyjamas from the Kwik Sewing Sewing for Toddlers book. I always think everything in the book looks very 80's or early 90's, but who cares when it comes to pjs. I sewed up the first pair of pyjamas, and they fit really well. He put them on and went straight outside. If I decide to cut any more out I think I'll do them without the ribbing waist band. The other pair I cut out aren't quite finished yet. I decided to cut out the jumpsuit pattern. It made really cute pjs! And the ribbing I had matched really well. R is helping me by plugging the camera in. Its impossible to get a picture of him these days because he always wants to help. I'm hoping to finish the pjs and start some of the fleece nappy covers tonight. If I sew them assembly-line style then they should be done pr