Skip to main content

Hybrid fitted nappies

I haven't been working on much shop related stuff this last week. It's a bit blah really. Etsy is making some changes to their site, and their fees, and it seems to have been a very quiet week. I don't know if it's Etsy or if it's just me. Views in my shop have dropped. Like practically all week, they were next to nothing. Since I opened my shop people have been complaining on the Etsy forums about how their views and visits have dropped. People are saying their shops are much quieter than they usually are and they're making less sales. Maybe Etsy isn't the right place to sell on?

I sold some sewing magazines and patterns I had (not on Etsy) and I was going to use the money to buy more fabric to make stuff for my shop, but now I'm not sure. I have no idea what I should work on. I was planning to get some more PUL for embroidered nappies, but I haven't actually sold any of the ones I've made so far, so maybe it's not a good idea. But then again, I'm thinking, hmm, if I make more designs then I'm more likely to sell one. People keep favouriting them, so they must like them. Maybe the price is too high? But my pricing isn't much different to similar items.

Etsy tells you what people searched for to find your shop and a few people have been searching for all in one nappies, so do I make them?

You're probably supposed to have a business plan when you start up a business. I kind of had one. Make cute stuff. Sell said cute stuff. I think something more specific would be better because I really don't know what I'm doing and what I should be focusing on. I haven't done any advertising yet either. I'll think about doing that this week. If Etsy isn't sending you any customers then maybe you need to find your own.

I finished making some fitted nappies. Well, actually only one, because I'm out of bamboo fleece to finish the others. Three of these are hybrids with a Windpro layer and one is just and ordinary fitted.







I can't seem to get it to look photogenic. They definitely look nicer in real life. They're made from the Rocket Bottoms one size fitted pattern and the soaker is from the Rocket Bottoms one size fits most pattern. It's what they call a snake style soaker that you normally fold to fit, but this one has snaps to hold it in place. There's a small booster that snaps in underneath as well. It looks like a lot of snaps, but I think they help keep it all in place.

I'm going to upload this one to my shop soon. For some reason I have this weird paranoia about listing things. I'm a terrible business person! Obviously you have to list things to sell them. I really should work on a business plan too. I think I'll have to buy some more bamboo fleece to finish the nappies I've started. They just need the mini boosters made. I forgot to sew labels onto the soakers I made for them, so I'll have to try and sew them on to the boosters somehow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

Cutting Fest

I spent an evening cutting out fleece nappy covers. I don't even like fleece nappy covers! But I have a lot of fleece just hanging about doing nothing. I also cut out some pyjamas from the Kwik Sewing Sewing for Toddlers book. I always think everything in the book looks very 80's or early 90's, but who cares when it comes to pjs. I sewed up the first pair of pyjamas, and they fit really well. He put them on and went straight outside. If I decide to cut any more out I think I'll do them without the ribbing waist band. The other pair I cut out aren't quite finished yet. I decided to cut out the jumpsuit pattern. It made really cute pjs! And the ribbing I had matched really well. R is helping me by plugging the camera in. Its impossible to get a picture of him these days because he always wants to help. I'm hoping to finish the pjs and start some of the fleece nappy covers tonight. If I sew them assembly-line style then they should be done pr