Skip to main content

Latest projects

 I haven't actually made much progress on the list I posted over a month ago. I did iron some interfacing onto some parts of the Toby K hoodies, but that's about it.

I'm not sure if I had a Jalie hoodie on my list, but I did finish that. I cut it out about a year ago and just finished it now. I did some colour blocking on it, and certain people thought it looked like an old Grandma's fleece. And, it kind of does a bit. An old Grandma's fleece from the 90s. I need to get some photos of it, but I've already been wearing it. 

I also finished the Lago tank, and a pair of Bunzies. I don't remember if the Bunzies were on my list. The Lago tank still turned out to be too baggy, but nowhere near as bad as the Jalie one from my last post. I need to take some photos of them too.

The only thing I do have photos of is face masks. I'm sure every sewer has been making masks in 2020. I actually wasn't going to. I just thought I'd never leave the house so I'd have no need for them. But then my college people had to go back in to college and masks became mandatory in public places. Weirdly, M's work only just started having people wear them at work.

I've been using a free pattern from Twig and Tale. It's pretty much the only pattern I've used. I'm quite happy with it. It has two different styles of masks in child to XL adult sizes. My first batch I ended up making from fabric napkins, which turned out pretty well. Then I got some adjustable ear elastics and some metal wires for the nose parts so I could up my mask game. These are some of the ones I made.


R is modelling this one (while wearing his pyjamas). He also dyed his hair blue. I think he's wearing a large size, which is more of an adult size. I did make him some in the medium size, which fit better.


E really likes bees, so these were for her. The adjustable ear elastics really make a difference to the way they fit.


I made these scrunchies with the left over fabric. I plan to make more but these ones turned out really tight because of the elastic I used. The pattern said to use 1cm elastic, which I thought seemed a bit thick. My 1cm elastic is pretty strong too. They work okay if you use them around a bun or something, like as a decoration, but you couldn't use them to actually tie your hair back.


These are some that I made for my mum. They're not all for her. She had people that she was planning to give them to. She gave me the fabric and said I could keep the leftovers. I think I could make a few more scrunchies from it. Red tartan scrunchies might be nice.


Here's some more from the fabric she sent me. The blue flowery ones were very small cuts of fabric. Not fat quarter small, but even smaller than that. I could only manage to squeeze medium pleated masks from them. Although the pleated masks look a bit bigger and are more roomy than the panel ones, they actually use less fabric because you only need to cut one part instead of two.


Hopefully everyone has more than enough masks now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

A few more things...

This top is made from Blessed Designs #1002. It is a nursing top. You lift the top layer and there are extended armhole openings in the white layer. Very good for keeping your stomach covered! It was so fast and easy to make! I will definitely make this again, but next time lengthen it by quite a bit. It's too short on me. Because I am small it makes me look even shorter! I think if I wear a longer top it'll make my body look longer and I'll look taller. The pink fabric came from my stash. I've had it about 4 years. It's not really my colour though. I just really wanted to try the pattern out. The hems were done on my sewing machine. I was too lazy to set my overlocker up to do cover stitch. I think they look pretty good and quite professional. Picture is a bit blurred though. One morning a few months ago I woke up and just randomly decided to sew this! I neglected my house for the day to sew it. It had just been waiting for snaps. It's f