Skip to main content

Nothing much to report!

I haven't updated here in about a month. I haven't had much to post about though. I think I'm still a bit burnt out after all the summer sewing I did. The weather hasn't been great either. Even though it's warm inside my workshop I don't always feel like trekking through the rain or cold to get there. I'm actually thinking about bringing my sewing machine inside to make a new batch of cloth pads. I still haven't finished the sweatshirts I started, mainly because it involves re-threading the overlocker and I don't like doing that! I need to make an effort though because it's sweatshirt weather now.

I uploaded a few things to my shop earlier this week. It's always disappointing when you upload new stuff and it gets zero views. It might be that it takes a bit of time for the items to make it into the search results or something. I also uploaded some more cloth pads about two weeks ago. I've been selling a few things here and there, but overall, things seem quiet on Etsy. Views and visits are low. I really should do some advertising.

Hyenacart has been a complete bust for me. I haven't had a single order through there. I wondered about trying it for another month and maybe uploading some more things but I already paid $7.50 for last month, so I could end up throwing away $15 for nothing. I'd need to sell at least a couple of items just to get that money back. I can leave my shop sitting there though and I'm pretty sure people can still buy things, even if I haven't paid the fee. I think I have to pay $7.50 just to be able to log into my seller portal again but if someone buys something and pays through Paypal I should be able to get all their details from there. Apparently items time out after a couple of months if you're not active. My only worry is that if I sold something on Etsy that I already had listed there then I'd have to pay $7.50 to go in and delete it on Hyenacart. I'm not sure what to do yet.

Hyenacart doesn't give you any stats to look at like Etsy does. I think you can install third party stat counters on there but I didn't. I was able to see that two people (or maybe just one person) have marked two of my items as favourites though. Lots of people favourite things on Etsy but I notice that if someone favourites something, they rarely come back and buy it. But someone favourited something a few days ago and then came back and bought it yesterday! I think this is probably the first time this has happened to me! People seem to use favourites as a Pinterest kind of thing, like a collection of pictures of things you like. If I used Etsy to favourite things, it would probably be things I liked the look of that I thought I could sew or make myself...

These are the things I've uploaded recently.

A wolf embroidered pocket nappy. I wish I'd used a darker shade of grey for the wolf though.


Unicorn embroidered pocket nappy with two colours of PUL stitched together. I quite like the way that looks. I imagine this unicorn embroidery would look great on white too.


I'm selling this as a slight second because the embroidery isn't quite perfect. It's a pocket nappy. I don't think this type of densely embroidered design is very good for nappies because it makes them quite stiff.

Another pocket nappy. I love this design!


This is one of the AIOs I made.


Another AIO. I do like the way the black and white snaps look on this.


This is the inside, which we probably shouldn't talk about since it was so much of a nightmare to sew!

I said I wouldn't buy any new fabric till I'd finished what I'd started (and sold it all) but the place I got my flannel from was having a 10% off sale, so I bought some more so that I could finish the cloth pads I have already cut out. It's the toppers I've cut out, so I needed the solid coloured flannel for the wing parts. At least I know that those sell, unlike nappies, which are very slow sellers. I have a different type of cloth pad pattern that I'm planning to try out too. It needs some modifications first though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

A few more things...

This top is made from Blessed Designs #1002. It is a nursing top. You lift the top layer and there are extended armhole openings in the white layer. Very good for keeping your stomach covered! It was so fast and easy to make! I will definitely make this again, but next time lengthen it by quite a bit. It's too short on me. Because I am small it makes me look even shorter! I think if I wear a longer top it'll make my body look longer and I'll look taller. The pink fabric came from my stash. I've had it about 4 years. It's not really my colour though. I just really wanted to try the pattern out. The hems were done on my sewing machine. I was too lazy to set my overlocker up to do cover stitch. I think they look pretty good and quite professional. Picture is a bit blurred though. One morning a few months ago I woke up and just randomly decided to sew this! I neglected my house for the day to sew it. It had just been waiting for snaps. It's f