Skip to main content

Wow...

I haven't posted here for months. I haven't been doing any sewing really. R is so hard to get off to sleep these days. It takes me till almost 10 to get him properly asleep. My sewing machine is in the same room as him, so I don't dare to sew in case it wakes him up... Apart from that I just haven't felt motivated or inspired to sew. I started off the year with such good intentions too!
I have been busy buying on fabric co-ops though. I got some money for my birthday and spent it (and more!) on fabric. I've ordered quite a few new patterns and a pattern book, about 15 yards of different knits (!) some woven fabric, some print PUL and some pre-cut patchwork fabric. Some of it is ready and I'm just waiting to hear how much it'll be for postage (an eye watering amount probably, with all that fabric). Some of it is going to be custom milled, so it'll be an age for that to be ready.
One thing I have done recently is cut out some PUL to make a new stash of nappies for R. I'm going to make some large sized Chloe Toes this time. The KCK nappies I made are getting a bit small. I need to get something for the insides of them though. I'm thinking I might get some suede cloth. And I probably need some more FOE. Gathering all the supplies is going to take some time and money, so it'll take a while to get them made.
I did actually sew something just recently! I did it all in an afternoon. Its a nappy and cover. I found that the Darling Diapers pattern that I'd bought had had an update, so I was quite excited to see what was different and try it out. These are made with the new "tiny newborn" size. It fits from about 5 to 12lbs. The nappy and cover are going to friends from our home ed group who just had a new baby.

I also wanted to post pictures of this dress - even though it must have been about 2 years since I made it! I'd given it to my mum to hem, and I think it ended up getting lost in her junk room. I need to sew some buttons on. E hasn't tried it on, I'm sure the length is fine, but it might not fit round the middle now. I think it turned out really lovely. I am sad that I used cheap poly cotton for it, because it would have been nicer with a nice crisp cotton.



Hopefully I will have more time to sew soon!

Comments

Vanessa said…
Lovely dress - wish I could do something like this for my little girl. What is a fabric co-op? Never heard of it before. Hope you and family are all well. See you soon. Vanessa
oh my your smocking is delightful, what a talent you have!

Popular posts from this blog

Darling Diapers

I just got this pattern a few days ago. Wow! It has so much in it. I could hardly decide what to make. I decided on some All in Ones for easy Daddy changes. The first one is made with yellow PUL, a hidden layer of hemp stretch terry and a striped flannel inner. The soaker snaps in and is made from 3 layers of hemp fleece and matching flannel. Here is the side view. its really quite trim. I used blue touchtape for the side tabs because I thought it would look cool. This is the inner. The soaker is overlocked with woolly nylon. I don't usually use woolly nylon, but it was in my machine, and it was a pretty good match. My boy would not let me get a picture! He is trying to get the camera. And yes, I totally dress my boy in a lilac nappy! Was trying to get a modelling shot, but he wasn't co-operating. Its actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be. As I was sewing it I was sure the legs were too big. It didn't seem like the elastic was stretched enough, but it f

KCK One

I've seen this pattern for a while but I never bought it because I really don't love aplix. And this has LOTS of aplix. I saw it again while I was looking for the Darling Diapers pattern and I thought why not - its only $5, plus it was downloadable, so no waiting around for the post. I saw the cool video on the website and I was even more convinced to buy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97s5wKbS9Fg And here is the 1st one I made... Basically its a one size pocket. Great if you don't have a tumble drier and good value for money since you only need the one size. This is a close up of the welt pocket opening on the front. Fuzzi Bunz have patented the traditional back opening, and apparently they come after any WAHMs who are making nappies like that to sell. So this one uses the welt pocket opening, which IMO is 100 times nicer looking - and easier to stuff than the Fuzzi Bunz. I thought it might be quite difficult to make, and then I read the instructions - a w

Cutting Fest

I spent an evening cutting out fleece nappy covers. I don't even like fleece nappy covers! But I have a lot of fleece just hanging about doing nothing. I also cut out some pyjamas from the Kwik Sewing Sewing for Toddlers book. I always think everything in the book looks very 80's or early 90's, but who cares when it comes to pjs. I sewed up the first pair of pyjamas, and they fit really well. He put them on and went straight outside. If I decide to cut any more out I think I'll do them without the ribbing waist band. The other pair I cut out aren't quite finished yet. I decided to cut out the jumpsuit pattern. It made really cute pjs! And the ribbing I had matched really well. R is helping me by plugging the camera in. Its impossible to get a picture of him these days because he always wants to help. I'm hoping to finish the pjs and start some of the fleece nappy covers tonight. If I sew them assembly-line style then they should be done pr